In depth


stay Protected


Mortgage Matters (Hayes) is always ready to help advising and supporting you with the Insurance Protection you may require. There are various types of insurance products available and we will make sure you are covered from all aspects should anything goes wrong with yourself, your health or your properties.  

Please choose your interested section below for detailed information. 

The Financial Conduct Authority do not regulate buy to let mortgages and employee benefits.

Mortgage Protection Insurance

Mortgage Protection is a type of life insurance that is taken alongside your mortgage to protect in the event of Accident, Sickness & death.  Mortgage is probably your biggest monthly outgoing. If you were unable to work due to accident, illness or redundancy, you’d still need to make your repayments or you’d risk losing your home.   You can either take out protection insurance specifically to cover your mortgage payments or get general income protection insurance/life Insurance where the payments you would receive could be used for anything. 

Mortgage Protection Policy will provide peace of mind for you and the family that if you pass away the mortgage can be paid off, which can save and protect your home so that your loved ones stay in the family home forever. There are two main types of Mortgage Protection Life Cover: Level Term Cover and Decreasing Term Cover. The type you might need will depend on your mortgage.

Life Insurance

Life insurance is designed to pay out either a lump sum or a regular income when you die. There is no one-size-fits-all category, so different types of life insurance are available to help people have a choice of cover that suits their lifestyle. Life insurance protects your loved ones and can ensure that they don’t suffer financially if you’re not around anymore. A policy is usually bought to cover the period (or term) that your family most need help.  It can help them deal with everyday money worries such as household bills, childcare costs or mortgage payments. Cost of the policy all depends on a few things; your health, your age, your smoker status, the amount of cover you’re after and maybe even your hobbies. 

A term policy only covers you for a specific amount of time, during which your insurer will pay out to your dependants if you pass way. If the term ends and you’re still alive, the policy simply lapses and you won’t get anything else out of it.


A renewable life insurance policy lets you renew your cover when the initial term expires without having to undergo another health review – though the premiums you pay are subject to change if you do.


Reviewable policies are generally fixed for around five years, and can be reviewed at any point afterwards by the insurer – after which your premiums may rise depending on any changes in your circumstances.


Also known as convertible-term life insurance, this type of policy lets you switch your plan to a whole-of-life insurance policy, even if there have been changes to your circumstances. If you do convert to whole-of-life cover, your premiums will almost certainly increase as this way you’ll have a guaranteed pay-out

Alternatively, you can buy whole-of-life policies that pay out whenever you die. Because they can last way into old age, they can be expensive.  A whole-of-life insurance policy offers protection for your lifetime, from the moment you take cover out until you die – when there will be a guaranteed pay-out. As you might expect, this type of life insurance is much more expensive than other types of policy which last for a set time period.

Critical Illness Insurance

Critical illness cover, also known as critical illness insurance, is a long-term insurance policy which covers serious illnesses listed within a policy. If you get one of these illnesses, a critical illness policy will pay out a tax-free, one-off payment. Provided you keep paying your premiums, you should be covered throughout the term. Once the policy term ends, all protection stops. When you take out a policy you can decide how long it will last e.g. until your children have grown up, or until the mortgage is paid off. All Critical Illness Covers include the main serious illnesses you might suffer from – coronary artery bypass, major heart attack, kidney failure, major organ transplant, multiple sclerosis, stroke and a defined set of specific cancers & many more.

Critical illness cover is often available as a combined policy with term life insurance. In these instances, you can often only claim once. Different people will need critical illness cover for a variety of reasons. If you’re single, you might want a policy to ensure your mortgage is paid. If you have children, you may want to ensure your family is provided for if you can’t work due to ill health. Recovering from a critical illness can also mean extra costs for you and your family e.g. making changes to your home or car. Your pay out could be used to cover these expenses.

Income Protection Insurance

Income protection is an insurance policy that pays out if you’re unable to work because of injury or illness.  Income protection usually pays out until retirement, death or your return to work, although short-term income protection policies, which last for one or two years, are also available at a lower cost. Neither income protection or short-term income protection policy pays out if you’re made redundant but they will often provide ‘back to work’ help if you’re off sick.

Income Protection is one of the most important insurances policy you could have, as without a regular income you could be hard-pressed to pay the bills & things. Even if your budget is tight – we’ll help you prioritise which cover is best for you. Being unable to earn is less of a worry when you know your wages are protected. Think about it – you’re more likely to be off work sick than you are to pass away before retirement, so this is the most essential cover available. 

Business Protection Insurance

Business protection is an insurance contract that helps protect a business from the financial effects of key people being diagnosed with a critical illness or dying. Business protection is available for partnerships (including limited liability partnerships), shareholders, sole traders and key employees. The death or critical illness of a key employee or co-owner can seriously impact on a business, financially as well as the loss of key knowledge. We are here to support to find out the suitable protection insurance for your business. Business Protection Insurance can come in below different forms:

Key Person Insurance

Relevant Life Cover

Business Loan Protection

Ownership Protection

Employee Benefits Protection

Building & Content Insurance

Buildings and contents insurance are placed under the bracket of home insurance. It is a combined insurance that will cover or replace any damage that might occur to the house or its contents, including loss. It is essential for all mortgaged houses, and the majority of other homeowners who do not have a mortgage will also have this type of insurance. It is possible to get the two insurances separately, although you will find that most providers offer them as a combined cover

Buildings insurance

This insurance covers your house in case of a disaster where your house is so badly damaged that it needs to be completely rebuilt. The event which caused the damage must have been completely beyond your control, for example storm or flood damage, a major fire, smoke or explosions, water leakage/burst pipes, subsidence, or third-party vandalism or damage etc. Mortgage providers will insist that you take out this cover, as it means they will be able to recover their losses in such events. It is like a type of security or collateral for the loan that they have given to you.

Contents insurance

This covers all items in your house which are not fixed to the property, for example your furniture, jewellery, appliances and clothing. Most of the available contents insurance policies will even cover things like the contents of your refrigerator and freezer. Contents insurance will cover you in most of the same situations as buildings insurance, but also includes theft.  

Landlord Insurance

Landlord insurance is cover that protects landlords from risks associated with their rental property. It usually includes buildings and contents insurance, but can also include landlord-specific covers such as property owners’ liability, loss of rent, and tenant default insurance.

We Will Help You Every Step Of The Way

From first time buyer to buy to let or let to buy, from Life insurance to Mortgage Protection Insurance or Building and Content Insurance, from re-mortgaging your existing property to protecting your business, we will always be at your reach